Indium Corporation® is announcing a line of material solutions for e-Mobility. The Rel-ion™ suite of electrical, mechanical, and thermal solutions are designed to be reliable, scalable, and proven materials, reducing electric vehicle (EV) manufacturers’ time to market.
As multiple EV-only automakers have emerged in recent years — due in part to lower cost of entry, climate change, and environmental government policies — it has created a demand to launch competitive EVs that didn’t exist within the legacy original equipment manufacturer (OEM) marketplace. In this rapidly-expanding EV market, reliability and reduced time to market will take the front seat as key differentiators between the many product offerings now available from EV start-ups and legacy manufacturers.
“We at Indium Corporation have created a suite of products under the Rel-ion banner that must meet three very important criteria,” said Brian O’Leary, global head of e-Mobility and infrastructure. “First—they’re reliable. They are designed to meet the higher quality standards that meet the higher demands of automotive electrification. Second—they’re scalable. They are readily available and capable of meeting supply chain expectations. Finally—they’re proven. Most of Indium Corporation’s Rel-ion products have more than a decade of running inside of EVs. Our customers have confidence that the product will work, confidence that they can get enough of it to meet demand, and the peace of mind that comes with using proven material solutions.”
More than 2 million EVs are on the street with Indium Corporation’s Rel-ion suite of products. Rel-ion material solutions deliver reliability by:
- Eliminating non-wet opens and head-in-pillow defects
- Preventing dendritic growth by meeting stricter surface insulation resistance requirements
- Preventing solder delamination with precise bondline control and increased creep and fatigue resistance
- Reducing hot spots-induced voiding through improved thermal efficiency
Some of the products available include:
- Award-winning Durafuse™ LT, a patented mixed-alloy technology that provides drop shock performance to conventional low-temperature solders, outclassing BiSn or BiSnAg alloys, and performing better than SAC305 with optimum process setup.
- The Indium8.9HF Solder Paste Series, an industry-proven solder paste series that delivers no-clean, halogen-free solutions designed to enhance electrical reliability, improve stability during the printing process, and deliver low-voiding for high-reliability automotive electronics.