Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. announced the latest addition to its growing Snapdragon® Digital Chassis™ connected car technology portfolio with its Snapdragon Auto 5G Modem-RF Gen 2. As Qualcomm Technologies’ most advanced automotive modem-RF system available, it features high performance processing power and up to 200 MHz of network capacity to support reliable, low-latency connectivity for safe, intelligent, and immersive riding experiences. Equipped with the latest advancements in 5G, the system will provide car owners with the broadband to enjoy the comfort and convenience of a vehicle, home, and office in one space. The Snapdragon Auto 5G Modem-RF Gen 2 also introduces a new form of communication to the automotive industry with support for satellite communications, helping to ensure connectivity is ubiquitously available for applications that utilize two-way messaging.
Connectivity continues to play a pivotal role in the automotive industry’s digital transformation as it lays the foundation for next generation, software-defined vehicles. By connecting to 5G and Wi-Fi, and with cellular vehicle-to-everything (C-V2X) and satellite, vehicles can reach new limits on the safety, personalization, entertainment, and productivity features they provide to end users. With the Snapdragon Auto 5G Modem-RF’s support for these advanced connectivity technologies, automakers will be empowered to deliver premium digital experiences with the following features:
- Higher processing power, coverage, and throughput with an integrated quad core CPU and up to 200 MHz of aggregated network bandwidth to provide new opportunities for services and to support the most advanced connectivity technologies and speeds needed for faster content streaming, online gaming, autonomous driving, and more
- Increased support for vehicle safety for mission critical and emergency services that require connectivity to the network, such as next generation eCall, as well as for satellite communications to ensure ubiquitous connectivity and communications in remote and rural areas
- Reduced cost with fewer components needed, as this latest version of the Snapdragon Auto 5G Modem-RF features a multi-core CPU to allow for apps to run directly on the modem and features hypervisor support to isolate workloads, resulting in seamless connectivity and power efficiency
- Next generation advanced location engine that improves location accuracy and robustness in all environments to support emergency services, navigation, safety alerts, and autonomous driving features. Accurate positioning in the most challenging environments to enable use cases such as HD maps, automated valet parking, and more
- Integrated C-V2X technology to support direct communications to enhance short range safety and mobility service
- Data routing within the vehicle at up to 1GB per second, which gives automakers the flexibility to move traffic from the telematics control unit (TCU) to the infotainment system, a Wi-Fi hotspot, or another connected device. This ensures seamless communication, allowing passengers to enjoy their connected services without any interruptions.
Automakers and the broad transportation ecosystem can also leverage the Snapdragon Auto 5G Modem-RF Gen 2’s advanced capabilities to develop and deliver new and advanced connected services by utilizing:
- Snapdragon Telematics Application Framework (TelAF), a unified development and deployment framework for the Snapdragon Auto 5G Modem-RF system that provides all the necessary components to reduce complexity when developing connected services with 5G, location & security, and enhanced safety
- Snapdragon Car-to-Cloud services providing comprehensive cloud and device components that helps the automotive ecosystem enable, manage, and deploy new connected services developed on TelAF. Car-to-Cloud also provides secure data connection between cloud and device with cloud-based APIs to develop consumer and fleet solutions on the system.
With nearly all global automakers utilizing Qualcomm Technologies’ automotive connectivity platforms, the Snapdragon Auto 5G Modem-RF Gen 2 builds on the company’s strong position as a leading transportation industry systems solutions supplier for telematics and wireless car connectivity. With the Snapdragon Auto 5G Modem-RF Gen 2 providing a strong foundation for automakers to meet evolving consumer and enterprise demand for connected services that create new opportunities for deeper customer engagement and services-based business models, Qualcomm Technologies is uniquely positioned to accelerate the pace of innovation in the automotive industry.
The Snapdragon Auto 5G Modem-RF Gen 2 is 3rd Generation Partnership Project (3GPP) Release 16-compliant and is being sampled by global automakers worldwide for expected commercially availability in late 2023.
“As the culmination of Qualcomm Incorporated’s more than 20-year history connecting cars with our telematics or auto connectivity platform, the Snapdragon Auto 5G Modem-RF Gen 2 further harnesses the power of 5G for vehicles to assist automakers in democratizing access to smart, connected vehicle experiences,” said Nakul Duggal, senior vice president and general manager, automotive, Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. “5G will continue to unlock the future of automotive and transportation, and we’re proud to accelerate the pace of wireless innovation in these industries.”
With advanced automotive connectivity solutions, Qualcomm Technologies continues to drive the deployment of 5G-connected vehicles across the globe with technology collaborations with leading companies like LG Electronics, Valeo, Continental, JOYNEXT, Rolling Wireless, Quectel, WNC, and LG Innotek.