Teledyne LeCroy today announced the launch of its new WaveMaster® 8000HD high-bandwidth, high definition oscilloscope (HDO®) platform with models from 20 to 65 GHz of bandwidth, 12 bits of resolution, up to 320 GS/s of sample rate and an industry-leading 8 gigapoints (Gpts) of acquisition memory. The new WaveMaster 8000HD retains the unrivaled validation and debug capabilities of its predecessor while adding new SDA Expert serial data analysis software options for testing next-generation serial data technologies.
Serial data technologies are increasing in speed — PCI Express® (PCIe®) 6.0 delivers a 64 gigatransfers per second (GT/s) data rate while USB4® Specification v2.0 delivers 80 gigabits per second (Gbps). Both new standards use multi-level pulse-amplitude-modulation (PAM) signals. The increase in speed and the use of multi-level signaling requires both increased oscilloscope bandwidth and resolution. Serial data link complexity is also increasing through the use of dynamic link equalization, negotiation, training and handshaking operations to establish and maintain the highest transfer rates. Some of these operations are performed over parallel low-speed serial data links using a combination of physical layer signals and protocol communications.
More Bandwidth, Resolution and Memory Address Evolving Needs of Serial Data Technologies
The new WaveMaster 8000HD series high-bandwidth oscilloscopes provide exceptional signal characterization performance for next-generation serial data technologies, such as PCIe 6.0 and USB4 Specification v2.0. WaveMaster 8000HD more than doubles the bandwidth and sample rate of its predecessor, and provides four times more resolution and acquisition memory compared to competitive oscilloscopes — an industry-leading 12-bit resolution at full bandwidth and sample rate and up to 8 Gpts of acquisition memory. 12 bits of resolution provides exceptional signal characterization of the multi-level PAM3 and PAM4 signals used in USB4 Specification v2.0 and PCIe 6.0, respectively, and 8 Gpts significantly enhances debug of link negotiation problems.
Exclusive Capabilities to Support Embedded System Debugging
WaveMaster 8000HD also offers several unique capabilities to meet the requirements of complex link and high-speed embedded system debugging. WaveMaster 8000HD users can:
- Seamlessly merge the functions of the WaveMaster 8000HD oscilloscope with a Teledyne LeCroy PCIe or USB protocol analyzer using CrossSync™ PHY cross-layer analysis to provide unique insight into high-speed link behaviors.
- Easily capture low-speed serial data sideband, training and negotiation links, power rails, and other associated signals using nearly every 50 Ω or 1 MΩ coupled probe (including passive probes and current probes) offered by Teledyne LeCroy.
- Utilize any of more than 20 low-speed serial triggers and decoders — making it easier to perform low-speed and high-speed debug on the same oscilloscope.
- Capture digital signals with digital logic (mixed-signal) inputs up to 500 MHz clock rate built in to the WaveMaster 8000HD oscilloscope, with options to add the HDA125 High-speed Digital Analyzer to digitally acquire signals up to 6 Gb/s — especially useful for DDR memory signal acquisition, decoding and read/write separation as part of DDR debug and compliance testing.
- Observe and debug link errors over exceptionally long durations using up to 8 Gpts acquisition memory.
Comprehensive Serial Data Expertise for Characterization and Compliance
The new WaveMaster 8000HD oscilloscopes also provide comprehensive serial data expertise for next-generation serial data technology characterization and compliance verification. The new SDA Expert software options provide simplified expertise with tailored technology analysis for PCIe, USB, DisplayPort™ and more, as well as containing powerful PAM and non-return-to-zero (NRZ) eye diagram, jitter and link analysis tools. QualiPHY® test packages provide simple compliance test automation for complex high-speed serial data interfaces. All these serial data test capabilities are especially useful for next-generation PCIe 6.0, USB4, USB4 Specification v2.0 and DisplayPort over USB-C®.
For more information, visit:
teledynelecroy.com/wavemaster-hd for the WaveMaster 8000HD oscilloscope
teledynelecroy.com/serial-data-jitter for SDA Expert serial data analysis
teledynelecroy.com/pcie-electrical-test for PCI Express electrical testing
teledynelecroy.com/usb-electrical-test/ for USB-C electrical testing
teledynelecroy.com/cross-sync-phy for CrossSync PHY cross-layer analysis