This is a list of SI/PI/EMC/EMI consultants based on recommendations from industry experts and is not intended to be inclusive of all available consultants in the industry. The Signal Integrity Journal does not specifically endorse any of these consultants. Please use the comments section if you have suggestions on how this section of the SI Journal can be improved and made more useful.
Specialties: EMI/EMC, SI. PI, simulation, EMC tools – Bruce has more than 35 years of experience in practical EMC as well as computational EM. He has many years of test lab experience as well as the theory to understand the fundamental physics behind the (seeming) magic of EMI/EMC and apply the same EM theory to high speed Signal Integrity and to power integrity, since EMI/EMC/SI/PI are all EM related and share many of the same issues, etc. Bruce has published two books, one on PCB design for EMI control, and one on Computational techniques applied to EMC/SI/PI issues and taught numerous seminars, including 15 years at Oxford University. He has also published numerous papers in both Journals and at Symposia.
Xema Design Acceleration, LLC
30+ years signal integrity experience with related microwave, RF, and power integrity experience. Allegro PCB layout experience (for small designs such as test boards/fixtures and partnering with design services for larger designs). Custom 3D model build software (PinBuilder). Experienced with HFSS, SIwave, ADS, HSPICE, Spectre, and others. Extensive programming experience with Java, Matlab, Python, TCL, SKILL, and others. Published numerous IEEE and DesignCon papers. 2014 DesignCon Best Paper Award. Three DesignCon Best Paper Nominations. Numerous patents.
Typical analyses: 1) SerDes channel modeling, 2) SerDes link and memory interface simulation, 3) Power Integrity, 4) PCB design review, 5) PCB stack-up definition and material selection, 6) Test / fixture board design, 7) Connector and socket selection and modeling 8) Fiber-weave and other skew analysis and skew budgeting
Don DeGroot, CCN
Specialties: Channel characterization by test and measurement: S-parameters, propagation constant, impedance, loss, delay skew, eye-patterns, TDR/T, circuit probes, probe stations, de-embedding methods, VNA calibrations, dielectric constant & loss tangent testing, circuit boards, cable assemblies, test fixtures, PCB production testing, test system integration, measurement-based design modification.
CCN provides signal integrity design and manufacturing support through consulting, lab services, test equipment, and integrated test systems. Much of CCN’s technology grew out of Don DeGroot’s interconnect and packaging research at NIST, and his previous high-frequency instrument design career. Bret Moreland, former test lab manager for a major storage-product company, oversees CCN Labs services. Both Bret and Don advise customers on SI test issues and design improvements based on measurements. Our most valuable support route is testing a channel that is not meeting spec (on-board, cable assembly, or board-to-board), measuring or extracting properties of the materials in the channel, then advising on design and manufacturing changes to increase channel performance. CCN's customers also purchase our probe stations, fixtures, and integrated test systems when they are ready to perform measurements in-house, or to test PCBs on the production floor.
Education: PhD EE, Northwestern University
- Signal integrity design consulting and training
- Automated test system design and programming
- Design review and diagnosis of SI problems
- High speed serial channel design and materials selection
- Extensive design and test experience to 50 GHz
- Time and Frequency Domain measurements and training using TDRs and VNAs, including fixture de-embedding
- IEEE and Industry standards, including InfiniBand, 802.3 (Ethernet), SAS/S-ATA, and PCI-express
- Printed circuit board, Connector, and Cable characterization
- MATLAB and Keysight PLTS software
Senior Member, IEEE, and Amateur Extra Class licensee.
Education: Sc. B. EE, Brown University, MSEE, Syracuse University
Specialties: DRAM Memory Interfaces (DDR2/3/4, LPDDR2/3/4)
- Failure Analysis of High Speed Signaling Interconnects
- Embedded Computing platforms like ComExpress, Qseven or SMARC
- Simulation (Keysight ADS certified expert)
- Measurement e. g. with Oscilloscope, VNA, TDR
- Design/Layout review
- Pre-Compliance Testing RY/TX: PCIe, Sata, USB, Display Interfaces
- Training on DRAM Memory (Open The Black Box of Memory) and Signal Integrity
Dipl. Ing. Microsystemtechnology at Fachhochschule Regensburg (Germany)
EyeKnowHow is specialized in Failure Analysis if something is not working in High speed serial links or parallel Memory interfaces. EyeKnowHow combines the important knowledge and knows the tools required for Design/Layout Development and Analysis:
- High speed signaling KnowHow
- Simulation tools: Time and Frequency domain
- Measurement Equipment: Oscillscope, VNA, TDR
- Circuit Design
- PCB/Cable Material parameters
- PCB Stackup
- Specifications of the interfaces
- Controller features
- Assembly and Manufacturing Analysis: X-Ray, Crossection
- EDA tools to Review and Optimize Designs
Specialties: High-speed digital and RF Design House - Each one of us holds 20+ years experience in SIPIEMC: Signal, Power Integrity and EMC designing broad range of products ranging from u-server platforms, embedded systems, single-board-computer PCBs for Defense market, backplanes, interposers, ADAS systems for Automotive market segment, memory modules, GPU cards and others. Experts in development of Design-guidelines turning into post-layout accurately trading off between cost, performance and power. We continuously develop top notch processes for fast root-cause-analysis n making sure that systems we design meet the Plan-of-record POR target from the first PCB revision n then using our smart engineering skills for cost-down to control performance and cost target accurately to compete in the market place.
Education: Ph.Ds and M.Sc. and long life span in Intel Corporation, NVIDIA Corporation, Toshiba, Texas Instruments, Micron and Agilent
Specialties: Simulation of high-speed serial channels and memory interfaces, engineering tool creation and automation. Striking a balance between excellent signal integrity and manufacturability - Tools used are Ansys HFSS, Ansys SIWave, Keysight ADS, Synopsys HSpice.
Education: BS, UMass Amherst
Specialties: Worldwide EMC courses with hardware demonstrations & practical applications for design engineers. Our courses have been vetted by www.wpi.edu, IEEE, and University of Oxford. We have worldwide rapid response hardware troubleshooting and retrofit of regulatory (EMI) and functional electrical noise problems. EMC Design reviews of electrical schematics, PCBs, cables, connectors, and enclosures.
SILENT Solutions LLC works with an average of 35 clients per year in the medical, consumer, scientific, industrial, automotive, MIL/aerospace, and semiconductor industries. We are two full-time electrical design engineers with RF design experience who only work on electrical noise problems, solutions, training, and design to avoid interference. We offer formal education, practical experience, and a proven track record of success in addressing electrical noise problems up to 20 GHz.
We teach practical courses for industry worldwide and graduate courses in EMC for Worcester Polytechnic Institute. We also provide educational seminars for the annual IEEE EMC Symposium’s Fundamentals and Global University programs.
Education: MSEE Electromagnetics with highest honors, Missouri University of Science & Technology, BS Physics, Louisiana State
Specialties: LearnEMC helps companies build the in-house expertise they need to ensure their products will meet electromagnetic compatibility requirements. Training is provided in several forms to enhance the skills of both new and experienced technical professionals. LearnEMC also works directly with company engineers on the company’s own products to ensure EMC compliance; even before the first prototypes have been built and tested. Perform Circuit Board and System Design Reviews for Guaranteed Compliance with EMC Requirements.
Education: Ph.D., North Carolina State University
Specialties: power integrity + noise coupling + signal integrity in chip, package, PCB, and system applications - problem solving, root-cause analysis, solution development, solution verification through modeling and simulation, solution validation through lab measurements.
Experience: Over 20 years of experience in high-speed analog and mixed-signal circuit design and troubleshooting at system, board, and integrated circuit levels, with emphasis on signal integrity, power integrity, and noise coupling reduction. Cosmin has 14 patents covering innovative solutions in noise coupling reduction, power integrity, and signal integrity. Cosmin is the author of the book “Noise Coupling in Integrated Circuits: A Practical Approach to Analysis, Modeling, and Suppression”, and he teaches courses in analog circuit design, data converters, and power integrity at UCLA Extension.
Education: Ph.D. EE, Stanford University
Jim Reed, Optimal Designs Inc.
Specialties: Engineering services include design analysis and optimization of passive microwave components using industry standard 3D EM simulation tools. Projects in the past include various antenna designs, couplers, isolators, filters, connectors and SI packages. 20 years of experience using 3D and 2D EM simulators in the capacity of a design engineer for the aerospace industry, application engineer for both Ansoft HFSS and CST Microwave Studio, and over 10 years operating Optimal Designs for outsource engineering.
Education: BS Physics (Cum Laude) - Texas State 94', BS EE (Honors) - Universtity of Texas 96'
Geographical area: Planet Earth
- Custom Technology Platforms for loss/material modeling from DC-70GHz, includes IEEE PG370 Plug and Play fixtures, models in HFSS, Simbeor and CST
- Serial Link custom platforms suited for 10-32Gbps NRZ and 56G PAM-4 which includes pristine loss, crosstalk, and pathological structures for advancing SERDES testing past compliance
- Custom test fixture design to 70GHz, including launch design and interconnect optimization
- Custom Layout design, including high density routing, overall signal integrity analysis and risk mitigation for large high risk projects
40-70GHz test fixture design to IEEE P370 Top tier signal integrity metrics, general signal integrity including design, layout, 3D EM analysis with HFSS, post layout extraction, backplane signal integrity analysis and design, SERDES characterization, test technology vehicles or custom channel modeling platforms.
Experience: WRT designs stellar quality test fixtures for connectors, backplanes, and technology vehicles including a host of pcb technology and elements. Our success rate for generating very good signal integrity has been 1st fabrication up to 50GHz, typically we need another spin for 70GHz. We also perform post layout signal integrity analysis of backplanes using COM, EDA simulations, and combination of time and frequency domain analysis.
Education: B.S. University of MA, Applied Mathematics
Specialties: Specialist in high speed serial link architectures providing innovative signal integrity & backplane solutions to clients. Strategic consulting services include:
- Backplane conceptual designs through meticulous planning, defining and optimizing backplane interconnect wiring
- Signal | Power integrity analysis
- Design reviewing high-speed serial link routing | Power decoupling implementation
- Defining PCB stack-ups and material selection
- High-speed channel modeling, characterization and forensic analysis
- Customized training
Accomplished professional providing solutions to technical challenges with a distinguished 32 year career at Bell Northern Research/Nortel acting in a variety of hardware design, engineering and team leadership roles. Pioneered several advanced technologies into products and passionate about backplane design, high speed signal integrity, characterization and modeling.
Education: EE Technologist
Specialties: Power, DC/DC converter, simulation, modeling, optimization, troubleshooting, automotive, Hi-Rel and characterization. Modeling and simulation is the key to optimum design.
I’ve supported projects as big as the particle accelerator at CERN and the international space station and also a small as a single capacitor model.
Peng Shao, System Architect and SI Consultant
Austin, TX. I can also support customers from China, TW, and Singapore
Professinal Skill and Experiences: I have 15+ years work experiences on SI/PI/EMI high speed field, and system design.
- Outstanding capability on complicated system definition, verification and performance tuning, considerably shorten the time to market for customer.
- Professional SI/PI/EMI solution for complex Chip-Package-System co-design to reduce the system design cost significantly.
- Customer support and technical consultant on high speed system design and simulation.
- System design and development based on different architecture from IBM, Intel, AMD and AD DSP etc.
- Many years’ experience and skill on popular EDA tools: HyperLynx, HSpice, HFSS, Sigrity, SigXP, Expedition, Allegro, IE3D.
- Published two books on high speed design in Chinese.
- 30 years of SI consulting and SI classes. See website for class syllabus.
- SI class without the math just good real examples. Three day is normal and detailed
- 7 years as SI engineer at Intel and taught their designers SI.
Companies include Nokia (lived in Finland), Lucent (US, Europe, Brazil), IBM, Philips, Tektronix, Boeing, Rockwell, Dell, HP, Motorola, Samsung (Korea), Siemens, NSA, BAE Systems, Barco, Northrop Grumman, Intel, EADS, etc.
Education: BSEE and MSEE with patents and PE
- Focused mostly on training to bring the digital designer up to speed on the dangers of fast ICs
- Start from the beginning and make a digital designer aware of the perils of SI
- Invite high speed layout designers to the class for layout rules
Ransom's Notes have been helping engineers advance to higher data rates since 2005 with intense training, articles, and webinars.
- Ransom is an entertaining author and speaker with a legendary reputation for delivering a clear understanding of complex topics.
- Training focuses on how to design better serdes, better circuits, better interconnects, better systems, and better ways to use test equipment to find problems and come up with solutions.
- Creates the highest quality educational content—white papers, application notes, posters, trade magazine articles, and webinars—(a.k.a., technical marketing) for producers of precision instruments.
- Understands all the acronyms and figures of merit you never wanted to know.
- Author of over four-hundred articles in the electronics industry and science journals on subjects ranging from the analysis of electrodynamics in high-rate digital systems to popular science.
- Pioneer of jitter and noise analysis and mitigation.
- Winner of the 2017 Jim Williams Contributor of the Year ACE award for advancing understanding of design and engineering through articles, papers, seminars, and keynote speeches.
Education: Ph.D. Physics, UC Santa Barbara
Specialties: SiGuys specializes in helping customers succeed in the design, implementation, and manufacture of high-speed serial links. We achieve robust signal integrity by using advanced pre-hardware simulation to guide layout, firmware, and production with real data and no nonsense. SiGuys’ customers have tens of thousands of serial links in production spanning products from disk drives to cellular data routers. Consulting since the beginning of the serial revolution, SiGuys consistently and effectively helps customers migrate to next-generation data rates again and again. We’re known for clear communication and our ability to tailor services to match a client’s budget and schedule, and judge our success by a design team’s opinion of us when we’re done.
Education: BSECE, UCSB
Jeffrey L. Walden, EMC/SI RF
Specialties: High-speed connector design, very high-frequency RF connectors (>200GHz), & multi-physics
BSEE Rose Hulman Institute of Technology. Decades modeling with empirical testing from Motorola (RF design) thru TE Connectivity (AMP Inc in the day). Over 20 years consulting utilizing CST, a licensee using all solvers tho mostly the HF solvers T, TLM, & FD.
Experience: Even tho I specialize using CST there have been a few significant projects using HFSS. I have moderate 3D mechanical CAD (SolidWorks) to augment 3D modeling per customer needs. Over all, I am expert at modeling *any* 3D model for multi-physics. Susceptibility and/or emission (EMC/EMI), multi-pin SI, thru photonics.
We specialize in specification, design, layout, simulation and manufacturing of whole Electronic systems. But we also serve customers who just need help with the parts of the process that they are struggling with. This is often to provide consultancy on just SI/PI aspects of a design that they are doing. We would prefer to be involved early in the project but rarely have that luxury.
Specialties: An independent electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) consulting firm that specializes in product design, troubleshooting and training services for commercial and industrial manufacturers with global distribution in the consumer, computer, network & telecommunications, industrial, military & aerospace, and scientific industries.
Training Services - we specialize in training - from the basics of EMC design, to more advanced circuit and layout design. We have on-line and live training modules for circuit designers, systems & mechanical engineers and circuit board layout specialists.
EMC Design Reviews - We can review your schematics, circuit board layout, layer stack-up, system & mechanical design prior to prototype build.
Pre-Compliance Testing - This service may be performed throughout your design cycle - from board level to breadboard and pre-production systems.
EMC Compliance Testing - We utilize the best EMC test labs nearest your facility and can work directly with their test engineers and your design staff to ensure as smooth a compliance experience as possible.
Education: On the job training for over 30 years, BS Biology and BSEE from University of California.
Iliya Zamek, Ph.D., ZI Consulting
Palo Alto, CA 94303
Specialties: Validation, Test, and Product engineering of ICs, Electrical and Optical devices. Power Integrity – analysis of noise and jitter performance in a system of Chip/Package/PCB; methodology to design system PDN with reduced noise and jitter. Signal Integrity – Jitter and noise analysis, measurements, and suppression in various systems.
Experience: Over 25 years in high-speed analog, digital, and mixed-signal Electrical, and Optical devices testing and characterization; examples - high speed ASIC, FPGA, PLL & CDR, XO, 25Gbps Serdes, TOSA & ROSA with 28Gbps PAM4 and 56Gbps NRZ formats, Optical 100G & 400G Transceivers, etc. Design and development Test systems (Bench, R&S, and ATE), test plans and test methodologies, devices validation and test results analysis at leading new products introduction (NPI). Design methods and development systems with enhanced Power and Signal Integrity - reduced Noise and Jitter. Awarded by 20 patents and published over 50 papers.
Education: BS, MS and Ph.D.
Technolution has over 30 years of experience in challenging, multi-disciplinary system design and integration. We design products for large companies as well as for start-ups. We have expertise in (high speed) electronics, FPGA development and embedded systems, as well as application software. We facilitate manufacturing, take care of (world-wide) EMC/safety certification and offer full life-cycle management. Application domains include medical, military, high assurance, public infrastructure, consumer and industry. We have done board design for 10G-Ethernet, PCIe, DDR, HDMI and other high speed serial interfaces. More recently, we also provided consultancy on chip packaging design for SI/PI.
We believe that by giving signal integrity, power integrity, RF, EMC and manufacturability attention from the beginning, risks and cost are significantly reduced. We can co-create with you, along the entire design process, by:
- being a sparring partner for SI/PI/EMC-aware system architecture;
- pre-layout simulation for 'what-if' analyses, stack-up and connector selection;
- preliminary simulations during layout phase;
- post-layout simulation to check compliance with interface standards;
- prototyping high-speed structures and material characterization by VNA measurement and de-embedding;
- pre-compliance measurements and
- definition of compliance testing strategy.
Most simulations are carried out with Keysight ADS. Having our own product lines as well, we know how to cost-effectively balance modeling/analysis with prototyping.
Education: MScEE TU Delft, BScEE Amsterdam, PhD INSA Rennes (cum laude)