Sonoscan® has introduced the J610™, the latest member of its C-SAM® acoustic microscope line. The J610 is a semi-automated tool designed for production environments and has an unusually large scan area. Its key role is finding internal structural defects by screening trays of loose components, wafers, board-mounted components and other suitably sized items.
The 610 mm x 610 mm scan area can accommodate 6 JEDEC-style trays or one or more printed circuit boards. To reduce vibrations and maximize image quality, the system’s patented inertially balanced linear scanner is counterweighted.
- The J610 can learn the x, y and z extent of specific user-defined areas of interest within a component.
- By comparing anomalies to the user’s standards, it can automatically accept or reject components.
- Using Sonoscan’s PolyGate™ software, it can create a separate image for each of multiple depths of interest in a given component, without increasing scan time.
- Using Sonoscan’s proprietary Q-BAM™ module, it can create non-destructive cross sections through a component.
- When scanning printed circuit boards, the system accurately finds and scans a component even if the component is slightly out of place on the board.
- When defects repeatedly appear in the same component on multiple boards, steps can be taken to find and eliminate the cause.
- J610 inspection permits replacement of board-mounted components that fail to meet the user’s criteria.
Since 1974, Sonoscan has led the development and production of acoustic micro imaging (AMI) tools, methods and modes for non-destructive imaging, inspection and analysis of parts and products used in commercial, military and aerospace applications. Along the way, the company has been awarded numerous patents in the U.S. and abroad. The company also operates contract testing laboratories in multiple locations.