Microchip Technology Inc., announced its expanded portfolio of smaller, lighter and more efficient SiC power modules. Together with its broad portfolio of microcontrollers (MCUs) and analog products, Microchip serves the needs of high-power system control, gate drive, and power stage – supporting customers with total system solutions.
Silicon Carbide (SiC) semiconductors are innovative, new options for improving system efficiency, supporting higher operating temperatures and reducing costs in your power electronic designs. They can be used in broad range of high-voltage, high-power applications in industrial, automotive, medical, aerospace, defense, and communication market segments. Our next-generation SiC MOSFETs and SiC Schottky Barrier Diodes (SBDs) are designed with high-repetitive Unclamped Inductive Switching (UIS) capability and excellent gate oxide shielding and channel integrity for robust operation. Our SiC MOSFET and SiC SBD die can be paired for use in power modules with various topologies.
SiC Devices and Power Modules Offer:
- Improved system efficiency with lower switching losses
- Higher power density for similar power topologies
- Higher operating temperature
- Reduced cooling needs, smaller filters and passives
- Higher switching frequency
- Ten times lower Failure In Time (FIT) rate for neutron susceptibility than comparable Insulated Gate Bipolar Transistors (IGBTs) at rated voltages
- Extremely low parasitic (stray) inductance at < 2.9 nH in SiC modules
How Can Silicon Carbide Devices Solve Your Design Challenges?
- Wide range of 700V and 1200V to support a variety of applications and markets
- Higher SiC power density vs. silicon enables smaller magnetics, transformers, filters and passives, resulting in a compact form factor
- SiC products can be combined with other Microchip devices, including 8-, 16- and 32-bit microcontrollers, power management devices, analog sensors, touch and gesture controllers and wireless connectivity solutions, to create a total system and lower overall system costs
For additional information including pricing contact a Microchip sales representative, authorized worldwide distributor or visit Microchip’s SiC product portfolio website. To purchase products mentioned here contact a Microchip authorized distributor.